Friday, February 25, 2011

"Essence of the Lake Collection" to Launch at Heard Museum March 5




Welcome to my new blog everyone! I am so excited for the Heard Museum's Annual Indian Fair and Market this year, which will be taking place in Phoenix, Arizona Saturday, March 5 and Sunday, March 6. While I have won awards in the past for my birch bark bitings, this past year at SWAIA Indian Market, I had the honor of placing 1st in "Diverse Arts" with my birch bark canister, made of birch bark, silver and precious stones, as well as Lake Superior pebble stones. I also had the double honor of placing 1st in the "Bracelet" division for my piece entitled Lady Slipper. It was both a thrilling and humbling experience for me, but I am very hopeful for an equally successful outcome at the Heard in 2011!

This year, at the Heard, I will be launching the "Essence of the Lake Collection," a new jewelry line with the high-tiered, fashion-conscious, fashion-forward collector in mind. This isn't your typical Native American jewelry collection. It transcends what most people think of when they hear Native American jewelry. While my life in the Southwest has to some degree informed the work, the "Essence of the Lake Collection" is truly a reflection of my indigenous cultural roots as well as contemporary artistic influences. These one-of-a-kind pieces will fuse the traditional concept of birch bark bitings and cutouts with representational floral designs embellished with precious and semi-precious stones, including diamonds, acquamarine, yellow topaz, garnets and more.

Be sure to stop by Booth I-07 on Saturday and Sunday to see what all the buzz is about. I'm excited to be the only female from a Northern United States tribe creating this work, and it is a pleasure to share it with you! See you at the Heard!

xo

Wanesia






“I first became interested in birch bark biting when I discovered that my mother used to to do it,” said Misquadace. “Afterwards, I went out and harvested some birch bark. I sat outside and peeled the bark that I had just collected into the thin layers and connected with my mother, who passed away when I was a child. Now, my mother’s talent lives on through me and I can pass that tradition on to my son Mossimo.”

--Wanesia Misquadace


No comments:

Post a Comment